Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Letter to My Son, 1990

Dear Adam,
In our present state of evolution we humans are extremely fragile emotionally and psychologically, so we build an elaborate barrier of defense mechanisms that render us obscure even from ourselves.  It allows us to side-step through the demands and pressures of society. By the time we are old enough to wipe our own behind, we have already incorporated and solidified a complicated, personalized method of negotiating the world around us rather than experiencing it in an objective, rational manner. We are weak, vulnerable,  un-trusting, self-imposed prisoners of our emotional baggage. This is not limited to, but is primarily caused by, poor parenting.

Equally well-defended as one's ego, the church gets up in arms when we try to give our children a rational education. The difference between religions' attitude toward illusions and mine is that one must defend the religious illusion fanatically. If it were discredited then there would be nothing but despair. I am free of that bondage. Since I am prepared to renounce a good part of my infantile wishes, I can bear it if my illusions explode in my face.

POP.





No comments:

Post a Comment