Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Blues Roots" Series

Lightning Hopkins 
In 1976, for my 30th birthday, all my friends bought me art related gifts, a creative venue I had never dabbled in before -- brushes, charcoals, oil paints, pastels, water-colors, pencils, calligrapher's pens, oil-crayons, easel, tablets, palette, etc.










It was a friendly conspiratorial attempt to re-motivate my creative urges, previously:  woodcrafts -- writing -- photography -- music -- which had all been relegated to an obscure file hidden down deep in my hard drive due to a lengthy depression.


Muddy Waters








While my art work was sophomoric and often dark, it worked to help me see the light.






Bessie Smith






  For three weeks, I was an artist, 24/7. I put out a bunch of work, used up all my     
  supplies, and never pursued art again.










Memphis Willie B.
These are pen and ink drawings that I attempted to copy from thumbprints in a book.












Blues rocks my boat






Roosevelt Sykes






    and strokes my soul.

   

    Keep Jammin'.



No comments:

Post a Comment