Thursday, November 18, 2010

Guinness Book of World Records Day!

Today is Guinness Book of World Records Day. In 1996, my son Adam and I set a new world record for keeping a top spinning, untouched after the initial spin, using my invention, TOP-NO-SIS. Our record was 2 hours 0 minutes and 54 seconds, at which point we stopped intentionally. Guinness accepted the record but didn't print it.
In 1998, a young boy from Georgia beat our record by keeping his top(also a TOP-NO-SIS toy) spinning for 2 hours, 52 minutes, and 11 seconds. He was listed as a world record holder on Guinness's website for a couple of years.
A few years later, Guinness eliminated the category(no touching after the initial spin), saying it was too specific, and started allowing the spinning top to be touched in various ways(feather, stick etc.) in order to keep it spinning.
So, the current world record for duration of top spinning is now a wee bit over seven hours. It is held by the talented but obsessed man who owns the record for the most Guinness world records! He used an implement to keep hitting his top to feed it energy, and I believe Guinness manipulated this entire category scenario to help promote themselves through their favorite record holder.
Using my TOP-NO-SIS toy, a skilled person can keep the LSX top spinning for a lifetime, untouched! Literally. But I've had it with Guinness, will not try to break the current record, and I still advertise my invention as the longest spinning top in the world(untouched after the initial spin). Fuck Guinness.


No comments:

Post a Comment