Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Letter to my son--1988

When my son was a child, I kept a journal of letters addressed to him. Here is one of them.

Dear Googy,
     This I promise you: You are a lot better off that I didn't have you while in my twenties or thirties. So the times you find yourself wishing I was younger, bite your mind's tongue and wince back to reality.
     The trouble is, there are so many concepts a man has to learn to internalize before he becomes a valuable, valued person. Basic concepts. Reasonable concepts such as flexibility, sensitivity, equality, gentleness, compassion, and honesty. Feelings that should have been nurtured throughout his childhood but are usually ignored by unqualified, old-world parenting.
     Isn't it interesting that a greater percentage of women possess those qualities. What have parents done to their sons? It's paradoxical that in their misguided efforts, throughout history, to afford every advantage to their sons, expect more from their sons, and respect their sons more, parents have created infantile, macho-monsters of entrenched, well-defended proportions. FA's (my coined acronym for Fractional Adults) who will rarely become valuable people.
     All the divorces and all the king's men, can't make a FA a good person again. Try as they might to cavort and control, sadly a fraction will never be whole. Don't FA sake me, oh my darling.
Love, Dad.
Therapist on the FAringe.
P.S.
    FA jokes:
1. What is it called when a FA abuses his wife and children?    FA pete's sake!
2. What is it called when a FA is self-centered, arrogant, obnoxious, and insensitive? FAmiliar!
3. What is it called when a FA realizes that you have needs separate from his?  FAfetched!
4. Why shouldn't FAs risk playing golf? They are already too handicapped!
5. What did the Jewish therapist say to the FA? FAfahlen. (Yiddish for: it's too late), I think.







No comments:

Post a Comment