Sunday, December 5, 2010

Another Letter to my Son -- 1989

When my son was a child, I kept a journal of letters addressed to him. This is one of them:
Dear Googy,
I have little anxiety attacks when you and Mommy leave me, as you have just done, to go to Aunt M's house for a brief visit and to pick up the grapefruits she brought from Florida. I realize just how much my well-being is irrefutably, irrevocably intermeshed with yours. I have never felt so vulnerable before. I don't ask Mommy to call me when she gets there, but I secretly wish she would. These are thoughts and feelings that I wouldn't have been able to express too much earlier in my life. You ignite a spark deep within me where no light has shined for twenty-two years. An unbridled love, so intense, so free, so natural. If you die before me, I'll kill you.
Love,
Daddy,
a lone wolf who loves your company.

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea, Ed. I think I am going to have to steal it from you.

    I've also added your book to my TBR list.

    -J.A. Paul

    ReplyDelete